Friday, July 19, 2013

Inspirational Summer

Temple Grandin at the Students Who are Wired Differently Conference


I had the honor of hearing Temple Grandin speak at the Students who are Wired Differently Conference in Atlanta last month. She is amazing. I wanted to listen and learn from her for the entire weekend! The way she explains her thinking process and sensory needs is really helpful to parents and teachers who teach children with Autism.
 
A couple of things she said that stood out to me...
"Are you going to allow a student to fail because you didn't copy on tan paper or other simple things?" (Temple Grandin)
"Don't praise EVERYTHING! Praise the good stuff" (Temple Grandin)
 
While there I purchased a few books that have helped me get excited about teaching this year and that have refreshed my love of ABA and inclusive classrooms.
 
I have completed reading the Way I See It, by Temple Grandin and Bringing ABA to Home, School and Play by Debra Leach. I have watched the video Including Samuel also. All I can say is WOW! I am so excited to bring these ideas and philosophies to my classroom this year.
 
All teachers need to believe in ALL their students. We can't be the one who gives up on them. As a special education teacher it is also my job to encourage the regular education teachers who have students with special needs in their classroom. Too often the students are just put in the room and left with little support. If the general education teacher doesn't have the intuition to research and learn or they may not know where to start to learn, then the teacher isn't able to provide the special need student with he/she needs.
Before teaching special education I taught First Grade. I can't tell you how many times a special education teacher would hand me an IEP and say you have this child in your room, let me know how they are doing. And that would be that. I eventually became the regular ed teacher that BEGGED for the special needs students and also spent my breaks down in the SPED hall bugging teachers for resources and information about autism and other disabilities. It's not easy, but VERY rewarding!
There are days when we cry and feel so frustrated we don't know what to do to help our students. These books and watching this video is something that I will be refer to all year long.
I hope to take what I have learned over the years as a regular education and special education teacher and help other teachers successfully include children with special needs in their classroom.
 

10 comments:

  1. It helps to have been on both sides, doesn't it? I am sure once I became a parent I became a teacher with more empathy. And having been a regular Ed. teacher & a SED teacher gave me many more insights into both positions

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a teacher along with being a special education advocate. I have been preparing for the school year by learning some new and interactive ways to teach. The advice you give is excellent and I may have to use this in my own classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I teacher preschool special education and also use read it once again. Would love to correspond some with you. You can reach me at cstevens at dcboe dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got to see Temple Grandin speak once....Our local college had her one night for the Ag Dept., and the next night for parents and teachers for the Education Dept.! Laura
    Read-Write-Create

    ReplyDelete
  5. I consider you’ve created some genuinely exciting points. Not too most people would in reality consider about this the way you simply did. I’m really impressed that there’s a lot about this topic that’s been uncovered and you also did it so tremendously, with a lot class.
    Pre School Franchisee India

    ReplyDelete
  6. Preschool teacher is really difficult job, children at this age are easy to distract, you need to be creative so that you can caught their attention. But for now there are lot of resources we can found on the net that can help you looking for materials to get your children excited about learning.


    http://kidslearninghub.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the post...for Online Courses POS 355 Individual Assignment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blogs and I'm impressed! Very helpful information specially the remaining part :) I care for such information much. I was looking for this particular info for a long time. Thanks and best of luck.
    Day nursery franchise

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are sincere, kids are happy, we do our best and parents are reassured. Kids improve, parents are satisfied. For more detail visit merryland.com.sg maths tuition tampines

    ReplyDelete
  10. hiii

    nice blog and good conten

    Final Year Project Help :- Qualityassignmenthelp is best company that offers to free final year project help, thesis writing help

    and all types programming project.


    Headquater USA

    100 Mainstreet Blvd. (South) 44th Floor, Highland Tower Miami, Florida 33148
    +16059567291
    service@qualityassignmenthelp.com
    www.qualityassignmenthelp.com
    Business Hours
    Availability: 24 hrs

    ReplyDelete