Sunday, September 9, 2012

Circle Time Routine


Like most Preschool classrooms, Circle Time is a very valuable time! I love circle time. We have circle time right after breakfast. We start with movement songs from Let's Get Moving by Dr. Jean. 
We start with "Time to Get Up" and then pick another and I always end with "Morning Stretch."
Disc 1
Dr. Jean is a VITAL part of our classroom. :) We then move on to Calendar. I bought a calendar kit in 2006 that has a different pattern for each month of the school year. I bought it online and can't find the original owner of the set to link you to. Once I do, I will post a link. The link on calendar set said "quiltforfunkids" There wasn't a set for the month of August, so this year I made my own to go with my Pete the Cat unit. Here is a link to that document (FREEBIE) Calendar set-August SHOES  you can take this and change clip art to match your theme and make the patterns more difficult as the year progresses. Along with the pattern we count and point to the numbers as we count, discuss Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow
While doing calendar time I have a few different songs my class enjoys singing and it also depends on the particular level of the group that day too. For the basic Days of the Week and Months of the Year we do Dr. Jean's versions (Dr. Jean and Friends CD). We also like the song "I Love Ice Cream" on YouTube. It covers the days of the week and months of the year. HERE is a link to the original website
We then do the weather chart and sing a weather song. I learned it many years ago from another teacher The student imitate your clapping as you sing...and it goes like this...
 What is the Weather, Weather, Weather, 
What is the weather out to-day?
"name" says it's ____, ____, ____, 
"name" says it's ____, out to-day.
After the weather we then do our alphabet song, again from Dr. Jean. I found a wonderful site with lots of Power Points to go with PreK songs we sing. Kelly's Kindergarten is a wonderful resource. The songs are not part of the Power Point, but if you buy the songs you can input them into the Power Point file like THIS. We do handmotions to go with each letter. This keeps the kiddos active and provides multi-sensory learning. 
Some other links of songs/videos that I use in circle time are:
And many other songs on KidsTV123
 


My class LOVES TRAINS! I found these videos that teach colors, shapes, numbers letters, opposites, etc! on vidz4kids's channel
 


We then like to do a silly song just to keep things moving. I use several songs from Dr. Jean and the Power Points from Kelly's Kindergarten (link above). 
We then move into our book for the month we read it, watch it (search YOUTUBE and other sites), listen to audio or do a flannel board story with it. I LOVE my flannel board pieces from Miss Lee on Etsy. She doesn't always have a lot listed, but will make pieces to go with any book/song. I've bought from other people, but her craftmanship and quality are 2nd to none!
We then usually play a game, either theme skill related to our unit, or a skill game.
The class enjoys playing the LAKESHORE games on the interactive board.


Our group work after circle time is related to the skill and story that we have just read.

Circle time is a wonderful time for me and the kiddos. We have a great routine and the children are able to predict what comes next and they love it when I put in an extra element! Even children who are non verbal love circle time. They love the hand motions and the predictability of it.
I would love to hear what you do for circle time! Please Share!
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment