Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Classroom Assistants/Para-Professionals


I have worked with a few Classroom Assistants and I have loved them all. I find that as a teacher it is a difficult part of the job for me. I don't like telling adults what to do..is that weird? I can do this with children all day. I feel I'm getting better and asking and making lists for them on what I need help with-but still not my favorite part, yet again it does seem to help them and make them happy to know what I need. I know working effectively with the assistant is a vital part to helping my kiddos achieve all they can each and every day. Communication is the key!!
 I have started writing down my thoughts and realized I may not be the only one like this so I thought I would share. 
What Teachers Want Classroom Assistants to Know-Part I

Overview

A classroom assistant is to provide assistance to the teacher to allow the best education to be provided to the students. This may include clerical, hands on teaching, diaper changing, organizing etc. The best advice is to ask your classroom teacher what he/she needs to make the day more productive. If at any time you find yourself with nothing to do, then ASK what needs to be done, what needs to be prepared for the next activity or which child needs to work on IEP goals. Some teachers are proactive at this and others you may need to be the proactive one. 

IEP
You need to be very familiar with each child’s IEP. Ask the teacher for copies if they don’t offer. In our system assistants are required to sign they are aware of each child’s IEP goals and are responsible to help implement as needed. Teachers may ask for help with these goals. Make notes or take data on what you do with the children. Most teachers will have data sheets or a process in place. Find out what that is and how to use it.
The more you know about the children and what they need the better you will be at knowing what needs to be done. For example, if you know a child is working on learning to recognize the alphabet then while at centers you can find him and look for ways to incorporate letter recognition in play time, or pull him to the side and play a card game, or build with blocks that have letters on them, “find the block with the P on it.” (More on incorporating IEP goals later.)So reviewing IEPs are VERY important for the Classroom Assistant to be successful!

LESSON PLANS- 
Ask the teacher for a copy of the lesson plans and if the teacher can mark what you can do to help prepare that may keep you from having to ask what is needed. Most teachers put on their lesson plans what materials are needed, if you take the initiative and help get those together the teacher would be able to spend more time with the children or preparing activities she may not have had time to do. So again communication is the key along with being PROACTIVE! 



Daily Routine (EXAMPLE)
Greet children and help prepare table activities and engage with the children
Attendance Folder/Computer
Check Daily folders
Breakfast-assist as needed –getting food, opening items, feeding, etc.
Bathroom assistance/Diapers
Circle time-help model and keep children active/ participating
Help with teaching centers and small group...
Restroom/diapers
Lunch.. getting food, opening items, feeding, etc. 
Outside or large motor time...help do activity with class..play games with children
Nap time...folders and Lysol spray centers daily and clean them as needed, 
any prep for next day as needed, help snack area ready, prepare backpacks

COMING SOON!  Part II: Classroom Assistant's Guide to Behavior Challenges and FAQ (send me your questions!!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment